Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Waiting for the Smoke Signals


Do these look like smoke signals to you? No? I was just looking at my photo albums and this one caught my eye. Sometimes it's just hard to see what' s coming. If you were facing this cliff what would come to your mind?

I've often wondered how the early settlers felt coming into this area called the Colorado National Monument. There are some great stories of survival and settlement in the Grand Valley where I live. People face cliffs in various ways. Sometimes, they go around the cliff. Sometimes, they just crawl over the cliff. Sometimes, they sit and look at the cliff . . . and wonder . . .

Wondering what's on the other side of the cliff is surely a treacherous sort of thing. The waiting can be terrible. Some people are better at waiting. Some are not so good at waiting. I guess it's really just how much pain you want to inflict upon yourself in the waiting. Somehow, I find waiting a very painful thing. Can't I just shout "grace" to that mountain and it be removed? (Zech. 4:7) My advisors say "no"! Tossing in the towel isn't allowed either, I guess.

2 comments:

Christine said...

gee thanks .... as if I didn't miss Colorado enough as it was, now I miss it even more.

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Magdaleine said...

Waiting is so painful at times and when you're already in pain; and just want the pain to go away already, waiting can be torturous. {{{{{Yadah}}}}}