Saturday, April 23, 2005

My Walk With God

In a meeting recently, I was challenged to consider each of these points in my own personal walk with God.

1. Being preceeds doing.

2. We never rise above what we criticize.

3. Integrity is breached when the slightest slice is taken off the whole loaf.

4. Correct yourself at the slightest tug of the Holy Spirit.

5. Walk with Jesus personally, keep yourself tender towards HIm.

6. Hospitality is a kingdom value.

7. Confront in yourself tendencies toward cultural reserve.

These pretty much stand on their own. I would welcome any discussion on any or all of these points. What do you think?

3 comments:

Magdaleine said...

Yadah, would you elaborate on what you mean by point 7, "Confront in yourself tendencies toward cultural reserve"?

Yadah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yadah said...

I understand the idea of "cultural reserve" to mean that there is a hesitation when the culture around a person causes that person to back away or hold themself from entering in as much as previously done.

It's the idea of not wanting to change with the times. It doesn't mean the message changes. It means the package in which the message is delivered DOES change.

So, the confrontation happens when that person faces the challenge of change. There's an old saying . . . "You won't change until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change". For me, the "pain" of being irrelevant is too huge to ignore. The message of the Gospel is too awesome for the world. I can not hold my own preferences above the admonition of Paul in I Corinthians 9:12 "the defeated, the demoralized - whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ - but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life." (The Message)