Sunday, September 17, 2006

Thoughts From a Brisk Sunday Morning


We snuggled a little deeper into the down comforter this morning as the temperature dipped to 31 degrees. Brrr! Oh how I love this time of the year! (No, really, I do!)

During these weeks between posts, I've been feverishly trying to learn a job position for which I had no previous experience. Oh, yeah, I can talk to customers on the phone and diffuse a bit of their frustration. Also, I'm not afraid to squirrel around the business computer system; I've been told there is nothing I can do to hurt it. We'll see . . .

Some might call me morbid, but we sat in front of CNN's free Pipeline e-cast of the real time morning newscast of 9/11 this past week. My kids are older teens now. I want them to have those pictures clearly in their heads. They remembered some of it from five years ago, but they have a much better perspective today. Having been grade school aged when John Kennedy was shot, see some of those old black and white films of that time reminds me what an impact it had on my life. Important things should not be forgotten.

Back to the brisk Sunday morning . . . Because I go to church on Saturday night, my family has the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely Sunday. Since studying the idea of "sabbath" for awhile, some of my preconceived ideas are being challenged - within myself mostly. There is a refilling of sorts that occurs when I set aside a day to 1) remember the works of God in my life during the past week, 2) be with family and 3) do refreshing things that aren't done during the rest of the week. (The key here is refreshing, not the backlog of pressing stuff that nags at me.) This all starts in motion each week for me begins as we go to church on Saturday night. It's almost like starting the sabbath on Saturday night and concluding it Sunday night. I might have to write more about that sometime.

Coffee is especially yummy this brisk Sunday morning. Not having to be any place at any specific time makes sipping my coffee especially nice. Tomorrow will be faster paced as work schedules demand leaving the house at 6:30 am. But, today, reflection and renewing is the course of action.

No comments: