Sunday, May 08, 2005

Measuring Currencies of Success

"Currency" reminds me of money. It doesn't have to be money. It could be something spent or something earned . . . or both.

In looking at a new creative step in my life, a question (is it worth it?) that comes to mind. I will spend time, money and my energy. What will be the "payback"? I've heard that people who go into business don't expect a "return" for at least a year. How unspiritual is it to think this way? Andrian Warnock's encouragement to successful blogging had many great points, but I latched on to one of his questions, "what are the currencies of success?". My mind went to that tension between what is given and what is returned . . . and the measuring thereof. At this point, I am seeing that the joy of pouring out what is a passion for me will (for a while at least) be that "currency" that will sustain me. I'm still thinking about this though.

Another thought along this line . . .

I just read a Kris Krug interview with Douglas Rushkoff who wrote a book titled "Get Back In The Box". At this blogging, this book isn't released yet, but the interview stirred a couple of interesting things in me. I am seeing that even though I was trained to 1) be the best at what I do, 2) have the best reviews at what other have seen of me and (among other things) 3) do NOT share the secrets of my successes, I am lessening myself really by not being part of a collective that shares knowlege and values every part of the whole. No more closed offices where the "secrets" reside. Finding out what those around you really have to offer to you (and you to them) will create a sense of community and vision that can be bought into more easily. Why? Because everyone is needed. No one is just along for the ride. The value of each really is raised so that the total productiveness of the whole is greater than the individuals singularly. Somehow in the midst of this the value of each individual is not lost though.

Maybe that's why the term "emergent" is so current. The whole picture of community and being a learner along with the group is so much more appealing than the "boss" and "plebes" idea. A paradigm shift must occur. It seems like a very vulnerable one. Again the question is asked . . "it is worth it?"

The measure of "worth it" appears to be the currency in the days ahead.

3 comments:

Magdaleine said...

I like the idea of community where all, even the leader, are learning together. None of us know all there is to know about God, for instance. None of us are so intimate with God that there isn't room to grow closer. We are all on the same journey and though some may be further ahead, stronger or more knowledgeable, none have yet "arrived." The hare can learn from the tortoise, the lion from the lamb, the peacock from the sparrow.

Tonight at church we talked about community. Our pastor is weary and tired and so our church is in danger of closing. Is all the responsibility his? As a community, do we not share the load? Have the returns become so few for him that he can't go on? Has his currency been used up? I pray not.

I want to say, "I pray that he will find that pursuing God together with the community of our church will be worth it for my pastor." But what is worth? What is worthwhile? What makes something "worth it"? How do those in the persecuted church view worth? What, to them, is "worth it"? Often their currency is their lives--spent and poured out for God--and if you could ask them, with their dying breath they would say, Jesus is worth it.

You've given me much to think about. What do I spend? What do I earn? Are they worth it?

Yadah said...

Maggie,

This reminds me a bit of Brian Doerksen's song, "Today". The chorus says:

As for me and my house
We will serve You
As for me and my house
We will spend our lives on You
Today


Spending a life is more than marking time till the end. It's the investment, building the capital, spending the saved up currency sometimes and concluding at a place of knowing that nothing's been left unused or spent.

I guess my consternation along this way though, is determining if I'm doing all those things wisely and fruitfully. Extravagance is actually a biblical perspective. Jesus loved extravagantly. I pray I will pour myself our extravagantly as well!

Yadah said...

*Correction
In that "concluding at a place of knowing that nothing's been left unused or spent", I meant to say UNspent.