Monday, November 07, 2005

Heaven's Reward



A friend (and member of my extended family) passed away last week. She was ready to meet the Lord. The funeral was encouraging and uplifting. It’s just always interesting to see who finds their strength in the Lord and who doesn’t. As we stood by the graveside located at the top of a hill, I was aware of several generations raised up by this woman. They were all standing around (at least many of them) talking and reminiscing. People lingered as though they didn’t want to leave. It was very peaceful on that hill. I’m sure for many of them it felt like a respite from the weeks before.

This lady was one of the first Christians I ever got to watch live their lives. Now, I understand that no one's perfect, but she really was a great encouragement to me. She cared about me even as a teenager. While I wasn't a blood relative, I felt like I was included in family things as much as any of the family. She was pretty opinionated, yet was willing to try to answer my questions. She was an example of faithfulness that I follow to this day. I'm thankful for her willingness to walk daily with the Lord. I pray that I might be seen as such a one in my later years.

Ruth, I trust that you are enjoying the choirs of Heaven! You are probably enjoying the music in ways you couldn't have even imagined! We'll miss you this Christmas amist the celebrations for sure! I am sure that you are enjoying being in the presence of the Lord!

No comments: