Saturday, July 01, 2006

Our Summer Happenings at the Moment


















My daughter went on a hike with our church's youth group yesterday. They hiked up into the mountains to Hanging Lake. The incline is fairly steep, but the trail is good. She said she could see lots of fish. I guess the fish are safe up there because there is no fishing. Geesh!

Our middle son is working at WalMart at the moment. WalMart is doing a major remodel at one of its stores in our town. Our son says he is enjoying working there and would like to continue. This job is only temporary, but he's trying to connect with supervisors who could recommend him for a permanent job. This is really good for him and he seems to be rising to the occasion.

Today, I hope to take the last part of my training to be a picture framer. After I do that last section of training, I will study for a few days and then take the final test. My supervisor informed me that no one had failed it in the department yet. I think she meant to encourage me. Yikes . . . I'm not sure that's how I took it! I am enjoying this department. My supervisor is a good teacher and has a great heart about her. The two other framers are incredibly helpful and kind. I have seen them both goof up stuff and they are very open and forthright. We all know we can goof and feel safe with one another. That, by itself, is a great reason to want to be with these co-workers. There's no backbiting or gossiping. It's just a great place to be!

I'm taking Personal and Business Ethics in university at the moment. Our professor has a way of making me think about what I thought I always believed. He doesn't have an agenda - or I'm not picking up on it if he does. He really is trying to get us to define our world view. The interesting thing to me is that he doesn't demand we have a specific world view. He just wants us to be able to define it and explain why we think what we think. Our class represents quite a range of world views. It's been interesting to see those various views play out in class. Our professor says he is a facilitator more than a teacher. I know that I am learning from him, but his classroom style is much different than my college classes 30 years ago. (One would hope that would be true, wouldn't it?)

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hanging Lake is my favorite hiking spot ever. We've been going there since it was a wide spot in the road and no signs to get to it. My how things changed when they widened I-70 through there.

Sounds like good summer plans. Enjoy!