Saturday, March 19, 2005

Pre-Easter Reflections

Will I lose the wonder of these holidays in all my work?

My work is very busy these days. It's one of those holidays that has religious and secular significance. The Easter Bunny and the Resurrection seem to compete pretty handily. My company is a Christian owned company, so there are a few reminders of the real meaning of the holiday - probably more than most businesses actually. The employees of my store actually joke sometimes about the huge number of crosses throughout the store. Every size and shape and medium are available. There is one aisle of bunnies, baskets and eggs of every size and shape imaginable. Crosses are seen throughout the store. The store background music offers up a variety of renditions of "Christ The Lord Is Risen Today". I'm probably the only employee who even knows the song "Here I am to Worship" when the instrumental version plays. Sometimes my heart about bursts with worship. Hmm . . . maybe there is a bit of wonder as a work?

A dear friend is coming to visit me during the holidays. She will want to spend time praying and talking together. I know the power of the resurrection will be our theme and that God wants to meet us in a special way. Sometimes I worry if He will show up in the powerful ways He's done before in our times of prayer. Issues in our lives impact our praying and discussion. I've worked hard to clear my calendar as much as possible (even though there is yearly school testing, my work schedule and life!) so that we may enjoy as much time together as possible. Will the wonder be there again?

Our pastor will be preaching on emotional "rollercoasters" tomorrow. He's referring to the vast emotional swings those in the real Resurrection story lived. Jesus, His family, the disciples and others each surely had their rollercoaster types of emotions. I know that when hard times hit our lives sometimes we say "just yesterday everything was fine!" We find ourselves saying "what happened?" While Jesus knew what was going to happen, still the faithful written account tells of the emotions He experienced. I can't imagine being in the place of one of those who had followed Him for so long. I don't know that I've ever experienced that great an emotional swing. From "life is great" to "life is horific" to "life is meaningful and powerful" - each point bringing something on which to reflect. At each of those points, participants were working to understand and live. I'm sure they looked back and wondered. History records the actions taken as a result of that wondering.

My heart is singing . . .
"Oh the wonder-full Cross . . . bids me come and die and find that I may truly live . . ."

No comments: