Monday, May 12, 2014

Perseverance

Growing up, I lived in a small town where people knew each other and cared for each other. People worked long hours and gave their time to help one another in times of need as well as just to be neighborly. I watched men and women work tirelessly to provide for their families.

My family was a single parent family. My mom lived in this small town most all of her adult life. I remember students of all ages coming and going out of our house as they practiced for various musical programs throughout the year. If it wasn't church related, it was for contests, or something else important. I felt like I knew many of those musical pieces as well as the students who came to practice. (At least in my head . . .)

Hardly ever did my mom stay home from work because of sickness. If she was sick, it was usually something drastic. Of course, that meant I hardly ever got to stay home for anything either. Somehow, we just doctored ourselves and went to school. My mom was a teacher, and there weren't many substitutes in those days. I don't remember many sick kids back then, but I know kids who lived out on the farms in the valley sometimes had to stay home to help if something happened. There was an inner determination which drove my mom. Even at 80 yrs old, she was getting up every day, getting dressed "for the day" and doing whatever her calendar said she had planned. Whatever her life dealt her, she seemed to "get dressed and ready for the day". Hmmm . . . I wonder if she ever heard the statement, "get your big girl pants on and face the day"?

I can imagine there must have been days when my mom didn't really want to do the things she'd listed on her calendar. Generally, those things were involving other people so she didn't really have the luxury of changing her plans on a whim. She had to show up and be present. We were often the first to arrive at school and often the last to leave. She would grade workbooks while Walter Cronkite gave a rundown of the day across the world. (Cronkite was an anchorman for the CBS Evening News back in the day.) Somehow, whatever the news, the grading was done and my life seemed untouched from all the world.

The Psalmist said, "You are my rock and my fortress. For Your name's sake, lead me and guide me." (Ps. 31:3)

Little did I know that a work ethic and sense of perseverance was being modeled and built into me. As I came to know The Lord personally in my teen years, I realized all along God had been watching out for me. He used families and friends to help grow me. All along God had his hand on my life. Over the course of time, I've had to weed out the difference between never taking time for myself and having the world revolve around me. I've seen moms on both sides of that fence. I have the feeling my mom seldom took time for herself, but I know she did what she knew to do. Busy was good. I'm still learning how to rest. The key, it seems, is God's leading and guiding.

How are you being lead today for the sake of the name of The Lord? What of your calendar's plans do you know are His leading and guiding your day?

Father, I'm thankful for the home in which I was raised. I knew I was safe; I knew I was loved. As I came to know You, I learned to be even more thankful for my home. Help me realize today, that even from the beginning, You have been my rock and my fortress. Every day, You offer to lead and guide me. You desire to write my calendar plans. Thank You, Father, for giving me such strong people in my life at an early age. They showed me how to work and push past challenges and persevere.  Here's my day, Father. I will listen for Your plans . . .

No comments: