Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pruning the Peripherals

Recently I heard a talk from the board members of the Palisade Historical Society. They were telling about the old days of peach harvesting in the Palisade area of the Grand Valley. I remembered some of the information because as a young person I remember many people would help in the peach harvest. What I didn't know was how much preparation went into making the peach harvest so plentiful.

Many months earlier before the peaches were ripe and ready to be picked, workers went through the fields and cut off shoots of new growth. I wondered why new shoots would be cut off. Isn't that a sign of growth and newness? Actually, it's a sign of a tree wanting to do its own thing. The skilled workers knew just which branches should be trimmed so the upcoming fruit would have the maximum sun and space to grow to its full potential. This would create the best fruit to be harvested and sold.

I also knew many other families who had nice little peach trees growing in their backyards which grew rather small peaches. Sometimes the pit would be larger than the fruit around it. No one took the time to go out to the trees to prune away the growth that would take extra energy for the maintenance of the tree. It seemed like taking the extra step and growing great fruit would be of more interest to the owner. Sometimes - yes . . . sometimes - no.

John 15:2 reminds us that Jesus prunes the branches so there will be more fruit. That same idea works not only with fruit trees, but also with people walking out the plan of God for their life. All the extra branches take nourishment and strength from the main growth of the tree. The peripheral "shoots of distraction" often cause people to lose focus for the important things God is saying in their life. Being willing to have the side distractions removed would seem to allow more concentrated energy to fulfill the plans of God.

Here's a key for me . . . The vinedresser decided which branches would be removed for the tree to better produce fruit. The trees don't vote or have discussions with the vinedresser. He merely looks at the tree, determines its potential for grow in its current state, and begins to prune branches to allow for upcoming fruit. The goal is fruit. The vinedresser stands back, looks at the whole tree and its surroundings and gets to work.

Can you see how our great Vinedresser, Jesus, does the same thing? How do you respond to His work in your life? Is your goal the same as His for your life?

Father, somehow, I have not thought of pruning as a wanted exercise in my life. Its action has seemed brutal, painful and exposing. Could it be that pruning is freeing, releasing and directing? I have listened too long to those who have determined pruning as a minimizing process which means less enjoyment in life. I wonder if pruning might bring much more focus and clarity? I understand that I do not do the pruning - You do. You are the Author and Finisher of my faith. Mine is to give myself to You; Yours is to prune me for the greatest fruit bearing days in my life!

No comments: