Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thirty Year Trust

Imagine being a young mother trying to make it in the world with your husband. Learning to know this little newborn baby and his ways takes time and effort. Preparing meals, doing daily work and being a wife also crowd in on the day. Would she really be thinking 30+ years down the road to imagine the future for their little family?

Luke 1:38 reveals the willingness of the young girl, Mary, as she heard the angel tell her about her future. In simplicity of heart, she replied, "be it to me according to your word." In modern day language . . . bring it on! (liberal paraphrase there!)

I think life may have been as she suspected generally over the next 30ish years. The Jewish feasts and celebrations of her family and friends. The craft of her husband as a carpenter was taught to the son. All those years they remembered the big deal around the birth of their son, not to mention when he was brought to the Temple. Zacharias was able to speak again prophesying great words over the son, Jesus. One can only wonder about how that whole story was passed on to their son and how he lived with it for all those years. There must have been some strong training, because He came to the public years of His ministry being able to talk with people, encourage and persuade them. He had the ability to tell stories in ways people listened. Do you think it was just all anointing from God or maybe some good home training added to His abilities to hear and follow His Father's voice? All those years, Mary knew something was going to happen. There were too many voices responding to Him. I wonder if she ever wanted to take back those words . . . "be it to me according to your word."

I wonder how many times the zealous believers among us tell God to "let it happen like You have planned!" Would we be so willing when we see what the next 30 years looks like? As one who can now look back at 30 years, I am not sure I would have had the courage to know the story before I started the journey. Would I have the courage to just go forward and know God would work it out? What would you have done if you were Mary? I wonder how we would train our children if we knew when they turned thirty years old they would be propelled into planet changing work? Oh wait . . . that actually might be something we could consider!

Have you ever heard a strong voice from The Lord telling you something about your future? Would it affect your children or home? How daring are you to accept the direction of that voice?

Father, I remember when You whispered to me, "I have called you and won't say it again." It completely unnerved me. I only knew to run to You. I never want to lose the awe that rose up in me at Your call. I don't know how many more years You have planned for me, but I do long to hear your "well done" along the way. May my ears never lose their sensitivity to Your voice and my heart always be open to Your direction.

No comments: