Thursday, July 14, 2005

Baptism of Fire


Psalm 81:10 - "I, the LORD, am your God, Who brought you up from the land of Egypt; Open your mouth wide and I will fill it."

Matthew 3:11b - "He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."


These two verses stuck out to me. God was trying to show the people a way out. He'd already demonstrated His heart to do that in the Exodus. Jehovah the Elohim was declaring that to the people.

In the second passage, John the Baptist was declaring that Jesus was coming to do more than water baptism. He was going to baptize them in the Holy Spirit with fire. When I was preparing for Pentecost Sunday this year, I read about a Pentecost service that happened in 2004.

Here is a quote that Steve Taylor mentions in this article when he asks "What is pentecost?"

It is the challenge to move from spectacular, special, one-off, stars, to the mirrorball of God, rotating, light falling on everyone, young and old, men and woman.
When God says "I, the Lord, am your God", He was saying "I, Jehovah, am your Elohim". Not only is He all that I need for life (Jehovah), He is MY Elohim (the god of all Gods)! If He speaks to open my mouth that He might fill it, it just seems like to start getting the mouth open!

What is a baptism of fire? Fire is hot. It purifies. It kills harmful things. It warms. It is mesmirizing. It burns within. It cannot be quenched. It must have it's out working in a person's life or they feel like they are going crazy. It is passionate. It stirs vision and mission. The normal things have no meaning now. They are mere forms of what the baptism of fire has blazed into the innermost part the soul. Mind, will and emotions are heightened to press on into even the most challenging places because of the unquenchable desire to share Jesus and His story.
While I'm not sure I am on fire like the rock in the picture, there is something happening in me that tells me I am not the same as I have been. Something is going on. My heart has become about working mature believers into ministry places and giving them a taste of success rather than me just DO it - for the sake of doing it.
I look forward to the blowing of the Holy Spirit on me. Blow the dead, dry, legalistic structures off me. Boy . . . sometimes I can't believe how stuck I am it it. Imagine that mirrorball of God continually turning and throwing off the reflection of His glory onto (and through) men and women. No one is pushing or shoving or manipulating to "catch" the reflection of His glory. It's hitting everyone - as in all flesh. That includes me!

2 comments:

Apostle John said...

Just found your blog -- finding it very interesting.

Yadah said...

Thanks Apostle John for dropping by. You're always welcome. Comments are welcome. I've been away for a couple of days, and Sunday is tomorrow. I'll get back to work on the blog asap@