Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Outposts of Freedom


Does this plastered up rock wall look as unusual to you as it does to me?
This wall was crumbling so the forest rangers came along and plastered around the rock wall to make it more stable. When I saw this in the middle of a national forest, it looked so unnatural. While I know the rangers were trying to make it safe for people to be near, it certainly didn't look like it belonged in the pure, pristine beauty of a forest. This reminds me of something that wants to change but is not allowed to do so and is even plastered up to be less changable. Yes, it's "safer" in this application, but as something that naturally was changing, it is very much a picture of putting a stop to change.
From the prophetic word through Chuck Pierce:

"I am looking for places to establish Outposts of Freedom. I am looking for places that will war for the freedom of the Holy Spirit. This nation has prided itself in political freedom and religious freedom, but it has never experienced the freedom of the Holy Spirit. From these Outposts of Freedom I will begin to speak. I will begin to direct. I will begin to restructure the building plan for the future according to the Holy Spirit. My eyes are running to and fro, looking for places to establish these Outpost of Freedom." July 11th, 2005 - Chuck Pierce

Recently I wrote about the kind of church setting I thought would usher in the future of God's heart. I find myself going back to that writing. The main point I take away from that list by Hans Kung is that honesty really does go a long way. Being willing to admit and work on blind spots is so big for those who want to have community. I want to be invested in a place where the freedom of the Holy Spirit is not looked on as fanaticism. I want to invest my life in a building plan that will restructure when led by the Spirit to do so. The "machinery" of institution must be willing to redo itself if it is to remain fresh and vibrant. If we keep doing the same things, we will keep reaping the same things.
There probably won't be any restructuring of that plastered up rock wall. The wind and weather will not be moving it any time soon. Of course, the gentle breeze of the Holy Spirit wouldn't move that kind of spiritual wall either.
I guess it's how you look at the wall - very sturdy but also very unmovable.

No comments: