Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Smoke, Smells and A Sword

Song of Solomon 3 -
6 "Who is this sweeping in from the deserts like a cloud of smoke along the ground? Who is it that smells of myrrh and frankincense and every other spice?
7 Look, it is Solomon's carriage, with sixty of Israel's mightiest men surrounding it. 8 They are all skilled swordsmen and experienced warriors. Each one wears a sword on his thigh, ready to defend the king against an attack during the night."


I can imagine watching this cloud of smoke/dust coming from the desert as someone is standing on the wall watching in the distance. As the carriage got closer, there was a scent that wafted to the watcher to cause them to wonder who was coming. After a bit of time, they seemed to be able to recognize who was coming - the king and his men. Their reputation came with them. They were known.

If I have been rubbed by the desert sand so that I can better reflect the glory of God and I am breaking out of the wilderness, I am wondering about the next part of this growth process. It looks like there is that anointing of the spices (they are used for various things) as well as the warfare ready to defend against attacks.

Those warriors were experienced. I wonder if they ever got tired? There must have been a great allegiance to the King. My guess is that they were well trained and fine tuned to move at a moment's notice with great precision. I think I know what that kind of warrior is supposed to look like. I just have wondered if I could ever do all of that.

I'm going to have to think about that . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady!

It was so nice to see you and "C" the other day.

When I read your blog today.. all I could think of is seeing 'smoke' from recent wildfires! LOL

Love ya!
Di