Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Holy Spirit Visitation

My reading today was Acts 16-19. What a picture over several years of Paul's travels!

I was struck by the fact that he went into a town and hunted for the "disciples". I guess he'd just ask around. He always headed for the nearest synagogue to find a place to reason with the Jews. Sometimes there would be trouble. The trouble might be from the religious leaders, but sometimes it also affected the economy of the city. The idol makers were threatened when Paul argued that those gods made with human hands had no power.

Paul became known for his ability to reason with the leaders about the truths of Jesus and His Resurrection. He helped teach those that were limited in their understanding about the work of Jesus. The Holy Spirit moved through Paul in miracles and healing as well as the Baptism with the Holy Spirit where people spoke in tongues. Paul wanted them to have all that God had to offer. He must have enjoyed watching the disciples open their hearts to the new expanses of God's plan for them.

Today I am supposed to be praying for a Holy Spirit visitation on "key churches in my region". I have to say that I really don't know who the "key churches" are. Are they the biggest ones? Are they the fastest growing ones? Are they the ones that have the most audacious vision? I am thinking they might be the ones that God knows have the most courage to reach for the wide open spaces of His thoughts and plans. He is looking for those outposts of freedom.

This is one of those times that I am glad I can pray in the Spirit knowing that He knows how I should pray when I don't.

No comments: