Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Belief Amidst the Sarcasm

Sarcasm is a jaded sort of humor which insidiously twists into the psyche of both the speaker and the hearer. Often sarcasm is used to wield power of a subtle sort to unarm the hearer from a response - unless it's a sarcastic volley back at the original sender. The tone can escalate to raw humor and probable abuse at the very least of personhood of another. (Ever heard of "coarse jesting?")

"Oh c'mon! We're just kidding around. Isn't this simple teasing? Some people have such thin skin they can't even take a joke!"

Ok . . . maybe. There is an accuser who smears sarcasm like putty on a wall ready for tiles. Anything that attaches to it . . . sticks. When Jesus went out into the wilderness to be tempted by Satan, He experienced the accuser. Jesus was tempted in various ways, but the sinister point of sarcasm was clear. "IF you are the Son of God . . . " In the original language, the implication is even closer to a sarcastic "SINCE You are the Son of God . . .". It's not that Satan wanted to acknowledge that Jesus WAS the Son of God, he merely wanted to cynically jab Jesus with an accusatory tone. (Really that's the best he had to offer.) Jesus never bought into it. He not only knew I AM (Yaweh, HBRW), His Father, but He WAS I AM (ego eimi, GRK) The Word of God deflected and diffused every subversive sentence!

How has sarcasm toward spiritual things affected you? There is such a risk to "just believe". Or is there? Thomas somehow missed a meeting with Jesus (and the rest of the gang) when Jesus breathed on them saying, "receive the Holy Spirit and forgive sins" John 20:24-28). Of course, those who were there now had an experience of seeing Jesus. Thomas did not. He'd experienced the screams (audible or not) accusing him of being a follower of Jesus. At this point in the story, he felt pretty dejected. He wasn't going to just swallow somebody's story - hook, line and sinker. But, just leave it to Jesus to meet Thomas where he was. "Here I am Thomas, put your finger in the holes. I'm here for you to see Me so you can believe. Risk it!" There was no shame or sarcasm in Jesus' voice or eyes - only a drawing love that drew Thomas to Him. I AM had come to someone who'd had enough. Thomas responded by reaching out to touch Jesus. He was enough!

What has sarcasm about spiritual things done to your faith? There are people who will risk with you. They have heard the sarcasm; they have reached out to touch Him with their faith. Jesus (I AM) will show Himself to you if you'll just say, "I have to see You!"

Lord Jesus, I have to see You. My heart and soul longs for You just like the Psalmist. I get that You're not offended by my asking to see You. Cut through the sarcasm that surrounds me; walk through even the people who seem so full of faith. Let me see You with my eyes. I'm going to be in the crowd of those looking for You. I can't wait . . .


No comments: