Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pocket Tokens

Are you one of those people who carry something special with you in your pocket or purse? I knew someone who carried a penny that had been run over by a train. I always wondered what significance could come from a flattened penny, but the person seemed to treasure it quite sincerely. Some adults I know still have a teddy bear in bed with them!

Upon arriving in America as a young man, Benjamin Franklin determined to make money - enough money, in fact, to buy his own printing press and eventual business. He had very few clothes and only had a rented room with a bed. Every morning he bought two loaves of bread to eat during the day. He would carry them under his arm and eat them whenever he was hungry. That's all he allotted himself for the entire day. He felt the money he saved would better accumulate for his goals. People noted it seemed an odd practice  of carrying a loaf or two of bread under the arm. Franklin felt it was the best way to have what he needed. This went on for a good period of time in his life.

Jesus explained to people near Him that He was that kind of sustenance also. He was really all they needed for nourishment - spiritual nourishment. He was the Bread of Life. Ben was thankful for a day of physical nourishment. Jesus' promise was for nourishment of body and soul. Franklin received no nourishment until the bread was ingested. Carrying the nourishment under his arm was ineffective. He had to take time to eat the bread. Had he only carried it around all day, it would have been of no value to him. So, we must do more than carry the Bread of Life around as a token. To receive the "life" He offers, we must take in His Word. It is life to us!

The writer of Psalms 119:93 declares "I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have given me life."

It's a simple message, yet a challenge nonetheless. What do you carry to remind you of things? Is there a token of something in your pocket? Is there a reminder on your cell phone? What are you doing today to remember the spiritual nourishment Jesus promised?

Father, I carry so many helping tools on my cell phone. I even have the Bible on it. Just having it on my person doesn't give me life. I know I need reminders. I need Your Word as more than a reminder.  As habitually as I do many other things, I know I need Jesus, the Bread of Life daily. He is sustaining and nourishing. He is "life" to me!

No comments: