Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Talent Search

Do you ever wonder why it seems some people have all the talent? Comparisons cause us to shrink sometimes because we compare and contrast ourselves with others. Why do we think there is just one type of person who can do a certain job? Certainly truck drivers have to be trained for skills needed. Dental technicians need to be trained in their craft. Salespersons need to know their product and be skilled in selling it. But, have you ever noticed not all truck drivers are alike? How about those dental techs? They come in all shapes and sizes  . . . and temperaments. They all are skilled, but they are still different.

Eph 2:10 says “We are God’s workmanship (masterpiece), created in Christ Jesus to do good works”. The picture of that masterpiece is that of a poem (Greek word is “poeme”). It’s as though the poem was written with our talents already named and we have the joy of living out the “poem” He has written! It puts a rather different look on talents, doesn’t it?

How do we know what we can do? It might be that we need places to try out our skills. Generally, skills can be learned. Maybe not everyone is comfortable speaking in front of a crowd. Taking a Toastmaster’s Class might help. Being a truck driver takes just a little bit of “crazy” from the beginning. I can’t even imagine being a dental tech! More than skills, there must be a willingness to work on the craft. Squeezing an 18-wheeler down a skinny street takes some skill, but it also takes the courage of the driver. Speaking in front of a crowd can leave a timid person breathless (and faint). Being a dental technician takes . . . . well  . . . the patience of Job! Maybe there are needs that could be met without such technical skills.

Maybe the key to the talent search is finding people who will “try” at least a couple of times to see how they do at a particular job. If you can’t keep the cushions straight on your couch, does that disqualify you from straightening the chairs in the sanctuary? Likely not! If you burned last night’s dessert, does that mean you shouldn’t offer to bring something for munchies at church? Be daring! There are always people to rescue you if your risk to teach a children’s class doesn’t go so well. It’s nice to know you’re never out there by yourself. It is possible, that wherever you serve will go well and you’ll wonder why you never previously gave it a try!

So get honest now . . . what talent do you have to share with others? Get daring . . . stretch . . . it’s a safe risk!

Father, sometimes I think my life is more packed than I want. I understand there are talents You have put within me. Some of them, I’ve developed over the years. Help me remember they are there for a good reason. No one is tired of my talents – nor should I be. What joy it brings to You to see me living out what You have placed in me. My heart for serving might need renewing, but I know You want to see me try those “skinny street” challenges. It would mean I would need to trust You even more. Ahhh . . . now I understand. You want me to grow. Thank you, Father!

No comments: