Friday, April 11, 2014

A Sign of Home

I grew up in a farming area where people often put their names on the mailboxes and their brand on the side of their barn. You knew exactly where you were in the valley by the signs on people's houses. There was a house that had a bird house up high on a single pole. I knew I was about 30 minutes from home. Curving around a sweeping corner on the road unveiled the name of a ranch that cued me it was only 15 more minutes to home. As I was about 5 minutes from home there was a massive red barn with a painted brand on the side of the barn. It felt like a 'welcome home!' every time I saw it. Even all these years later when I pass those places, I still get the same feelings. It's like they are reminding me of my clan or tribe.

The children of Israel had signs that named their tribe. When others passed their signs, they understood. The leaders of Israel would make monuments for passersby to see. There was always a story behind the pile of stacked rocks. Stories of deliverance and redemption oozed from the formations created for generations to see. Just as I can recall history from recognizing the red barn, so could Israel tell its stories from the monuments in the desert.

God has His mark on His people. He reminds us that He has called us by name. He says, "You are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1) we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. (Psalm 100:3) His life is in us. Yes, we are His home. We are the signposts of God with the opportunity to display His glory. We can actually be a 'welcome home' for those who are looking for God. 2 Corinthians 3:3 reminds us '. . . make obvious that you are a letter from Christ . . .not written with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God.'

What do people see as they encounter us? How is the Spirit of God making us "living stones" who are showing who God is? Are we a 'welcome home' for those looking for the things of God?

Father, Seeing familiar places helps me feel so welcomed. I am reminded of the many great stories from those places. I imagine the children of Israel had some amazing stories to tell as well. Equally, I have Your stories written on my heart. Your works are magnificent. How small I feel in the grand story, yet I am still a living letter. You have written on my heart. What kind of letter do people read when they encounter me? Show me where I have "edited" Your letter by my own sin. Revise and republish for the sake of Your Kingdom . . .

No comments: