Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Shepherd's Stories

Oh how I enjoy a good rich story! The best stories keep you hanging on until the last minute. The art of storytelling is sometimes lost in the realm of videos and short clips of conversation, i.e. Facebook, Twitter or YouTube. The news doesn't give us more than a 15 second soundbite because we've been trained to only endure that much conversation on one topic.

Jesus got together to talk to His sheep. On what appears to be Tuesday of the last week of Jesus' life on earth in human form, He had some pretty powerful stories. His followers (and some antagonistic religious leaders) found His stories much less cozy in description than maybe originally anticipated. Jesus flatly exposed the religious leaders of the time saying they "strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!" (Matthew 23:24, NASB) The thought of what it was doing to the believers at this challenging time in their lives brought Him such angst. Prophets had been sent with such a strong message to them, but they weren't willing to respond. I sometime imagine the sorrow on His face when He looked at them saying, "but you wouldn't listen!" (Matthew 23:37) All that day, it seems like He had the hard stories to tell. I'll bet the hearers would have rather just gone back to Sunday with all the cheers and hoopla. It was just nicer and more celebratory!

What do you think the Facebook posts might have been?
"Jesus was on a roll today . . ."
"Kinda bummed . . . buried my talent . . "
"Whatever I did to another human - I did it to God? wow . . . harsh!"
"Woe! tough days with Jesus . . " (Maybe you can think of  what others might have said.)

What do you say about the story you're living right now? What would your Twitter message say?
"barely makin' it by. . .#followingGodistough"
"simple faith . . . simple life . . #Jesusiseverything"
"feeling peaceful with Jesus . . . #notalwayssosimple"

I wonder what Jesus would have texted?
"Tried to warn the flock today . . . they keep getting sucked into lies."
"Some religious nuts - straining at gnats and swallowing camels!"
"Described My coming in the clouds . . . sheep were just a little dull."
"Challenged the sheep to stick it out . . . don't give up!"
"Sheep seemed to perk up at the idea of greener pastures!"

What story do you have to tell of Jesus in your life? What are you doing with your talents? How are you preparing for the future? How is He with you in the challenging times?

Father, our conversations are so short and choppy sometimes. If I recall, some of the people in the Bible had short conversations as well. "Lord I believe, help my unbelief!" 'You are the Christ!" You heard and did not turn away. Just as You spoke the hard truth in Your stories that last Tuesday of Your life on earth, You still always offered hope. I'm glad Your voice to me is not published in texts or tweets. Your Word speaks to me. You speak in my heart in that still small voice. I'm #leaningin . .

No comments: