Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Not Been This Way Before

Romans 6:4 - "Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life."

Romans 7:6 - "But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter."

newness - kainotes - (kahee-not'-ace) - freshness, renewal, not simply an experience similar to the past, but a qualitative different one; having not been this way before (Grk)

Each summer I watch our mulberry tree in the front yard bear new fruit. I have the joy of picking those berries and enjoying them on pancakes and in my cereal. For many years now, we've cared for that tree by pruning it and watering it. It's amazing to watch it's renewal each year!

Just as that tree brings fruit to our table each summer, so there is a process where I may have renewal or "freshness" as well. As an act of my faith, I identify with Christ in His death so that I may experience that Resurrection life.

One study resource says the above two passages are the only places this word for "newness" is used in the Bible. It stems from the same initial experience (salvation) but produces a qualitatively different experience from past experiences. In Christian circles, that "experience" is sometimes called "growth" or "maturity". It is more than the acquiring of more knowledge. It is literally walking by the Spirit out into places we've not yet been.

It seems interesting that I want to "grow" and experience the Father more, but going where I've never gone before makes me anxious. So, the tension between my desire to grow and the anxiousness of the unknown can cause me to "freeze" in me tracks. The wonderful thing about the Father, though, is that He knows where I should grow and will continually "draw" me to that growth. That "drawing" might look like a desire to be with certain people. It might look like wanting to read the Bible more. It might look like talking to the Father more than ever before.

Suddenly the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change. Taking the step out into the wide open spaces of the Father becomes a joy. It's found that all along He was leading and creating hunger for more of Him. My vision of Him is qualitatively larger and keener. There are new areas of Him that open to me. Courage to keep going rises because of the way He met me for the current step of growth. That is a picture of the "newness" of life in the Spirit!

Just as I know my mulberry tree has in it the potential for bearing fruit, so I know the Father has put in me the potential for growth!

Father, being uncomfortable at the spot I'm in isn't always bad. It might mean I need to get back on "the way" or it might mean I need to move further along on "the way". Remind me that joy, peace and rest can be experienced even in the gritty growth times. Those qualities are not an exchange for growth; they are loving partners on the journey. Show me ways to walk and serve in the newness of life released by the Resurrection. Where next . . .  

No comments: