Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Timeless Timeliness


Have you heard these sayings? "What comes around, goes around." or "Everything comes back into style, just wait a little while." "Been there, done that!" Some things do seem to reoccur, don't they?

It used to irritate me when I thought I had a new idea and someone would tell about a time they did the thing I was thinking. I have come to realize there are many things I do not know . . . somebody else may already know those things . . . I am just coming to learn them. I often say to my students, "Guess what I learned yesterday?" I find they are much more ready to listen when they know I am still a discoverer as well. How flexible am I to change and grow? I still enjoy learning and find my curiosity rubs off on people who are open minded. (I used to think that open minded meant "empty headed". It might apply in some instances, but maybe not so much as I had thought.) Times change and so do people. (I suspect some of my friends are shouting, "Hallelujah!" at this point.)

How does the message of Jesus being the way, the truth and life cross the generations? We are living in a time in history when the diversity between people is huge. The diversity between continents is huge. While our world has been made smaller by technology, the microscopic look we now have has revealed giant gaps in how people live their life. Is there a level playing field among us?

Ps 33:11: - "The counsel of the LORD stands forever. The plans of His heart from generation to generation."

Quite awhile ago,  my mentor taught me that the Lord is timeless. God transcends culture yet fits so cleanly in every age. His counsel is all encompassing. There is no one who has ever lived who could not live in His counsel. The plans of His heart really create such a level paying field. His plan and heart for every generation can be understood and followed. Here is a pivotal place where generations can speak to each other from a common foundation. Maybe this is what has kept me connected to the counsel of The Lord all these years. I may have heard someone say they had experienced what I was encountering, but often their stories challenged me to continue on as I walked the way of The Lord.

Are you connected with other generations or do you think no one really understands where you are in your life right now?

Father . . .I choose not to believe the lie that no one has gone through what I am going through. That thinking isolates me and causes me to focus on myself. Your Word stands forever. Thank you for the clear transcendent place from which Your counsel flows. There are no prerequisites to hear and heed Your counsel. I don't have to be or do certain things to hear Your direction. Every age can respond to Your plans. Remind me that there are people watching me (of various ages) who wonder how I will respond to Your counsel. I know it's not about being perfect; it's about being responsive to Your plan. Help me be transparent yet tenacious, gracious yet gritty and mostly, humble yet heroic in my quest to walk with You.

No comments: