Monday, April 28, 2014

The Visual and The Voice

Do you remember the days of following maps on a road trip? Some of you may not. At the beginning of our school year, my students draw a detailed map from their house to their school. There are specific points of reference each student must note on their maps. Students have a challenge creating the route with any sense of authentic reference. Sometimes, the route just doesn't fit on their presentation board!

Today, I use a visual map via my phone. My Siri guy voice (on my phone) leads me around town or across the state. He's good at what he does - until there's a satellite glitch. Then I don't know where I am and the signs show up too late to help me. If I make a wrong turn or don't follow the directions, Siri comes back and says "recalculating"!

Just imagine if The Lord was as loud as Siri? I make a wrong decision or turn and I know I'm in trouble if Siri is "recalculating". Hmmm..... I wonder if I would come to eventually ignore Siri. Would that reassuring voice become so commonplace that I just went my own way? How is my hearing when it comes to the Lord's direction?

The Prophet Isaiah didn't have Siri to dial in for directions, so he had to rely on the best source - God. Isaiah told his people to listen for "a word behind you, saying, This is the way, walk in it. Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left." (Isaiah 30:21, NKJV) So what do you think about that kind of leading through of life? On my map program I do have a visual before the voice. Oh wait! I have the Word of God as a visual - then the Holy Spirit is the Voice that leads me through the day. Honestly, the voice of the Holy Spirit leading at just the right moment has been an adventure like no other. There's just something about reading God's Word in the morning and listening for the Holy Spirit throughout the day. He brings to mind the visual (Word) and gives me direction (Voice) at just the time I need it.

What sort of "visual" are you storing up in your life? How do you see God and the direction of His Word in your life? Do you think hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit is really possible? Have you given Him a chance to do this?

Father, today I absolutely understand the nervous feeling of wondering if You are speaking in the moment to me about something going on in my life. I know the doubts and fears that rise; I don't always trust that You are speaking to me. I pray for courage for each of us to believe that You have our best in mind always. You want to lead us by Your Word and the Holy Spirit. I pray for small opportunities that will make us more courageous to trust You. Even when we make turns other than what You've directed, You are "recalculating" to meet with us. I pray I might go through this day knowing Your Visual, hearing Your Voice and have little or no "recalculating"!

No comments: