Friday, April 04, 2014

Called

Driving from Grand Junction to Denver provides several opportunities to drive through tunnels. Some tunnels are short; you can see the exit from the entrance. Some tunnels are closed because they need repair. Some tunnels are curvy so the exit is not visible from the entrance. Some tunnels have roof lights; some trust that you'll turn your vehicle lights on when you enter.

When I was a kid, I always begged my mom to honk in tunnels. C'mon now . . . you did too, didn't you? (I won't tell that you still honk in tunnels.) I'd roll down my window and listen for the echo. Not an inch of the tunnel was left untouched by the sound. Almost always if there were other vehicles in the tunnel, they would honk too. It was a fabulous day when a huge 18-wheeler would let loose!

I Peter 2:9 says "You are . . . His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." (AMP)

Have you ever wondered what God's voice must sound like? Charlton Heston? A football quarterback? A gentle quiet sound? Something that catches your attention like a horn in a tunnel? Actually, I like to think His voice is the pitch and volume only I can hear, but it will fill me as completely as do those tremendous sounds in a tunnel.

Without fail, He has a reason for the call of His voice. The scripture above says it to tell about Him and His goodness. But even before we can be effective in our proclamations, we must have answered his original call. We had to follow His call to come out of darkness and into his marvelous light. Telling about Him might take a variety of forms. The first step is that you will have known the call of God to come out of darkness. Following that call, you will experience more and more of Him and His way of life in the light. THEN, you will find you can't help but tell others about Him and what He has done in your life. You are special to Him - even called royal, holy and chosen!

How do you hear God's voice? Can you remember the last time you heard His call to you? (What did you do?) Have you thought about responding to His call and tell about His wondrous works? (If you can be rowdy with a vehicle horn, you can tell about God's work.)

Father, I have heard Your call. Sometimes it has been like a trucker's horn; sometimes Your voice sounds like my pastor preaching. Sometimes Your voice is still and small.  I know it's You when all of me is filled with the sound. I know it's You and I cannot deny it. With Your voice ringing in my ear, I ask You to put me in places where I can tell about Your marvelous light-filled deeds. I will listen for even the smallest whisper, "Now . . ." and obey.

No comments: