Friday, April 25, 2014

Resurrection Life

One Sunday awhile back, our worship band started singing a song written by Jeremy Riddle called "One Thirst." It spoke so strongly to my heart.

"We have gathered, with one thirst and hunger
Here to drink of glory and wonder
Here to cry out, come and fill this place
Come and fill this place."

It felt like the Holy Spirit was infiltrating the room as we sang, "Hallelujah, come. Hallelujah, come."

The experience reminded me of times when I knew the air was heavy with moisture. There was sense of something in the air physically. The temperature and humidity were just the right mix to actually created frost on the window. When the temperature changed just a degree or two, the frost was gone.  At other times, the humidity would not be enough even though the temperature would be in range for frost to appear. Similarly, I know the Holy Spirit is always with us because Jesus promised He would be. ( Check out John 14.)  At times, He seems much more "real" for some reason. Is it because He is showing Himself so I can experience Him in a more knowable way? Possibly. Are my eyes and ears more keenly fixed on Him at certain times? Maybe.
Sometimes it's as though He sneaks into my world and reveals Himself when I'm least expecting it.

What does this have to do with Resurrection Life? Without the Resurrection, we would not have a chance at this kind of living. The Old Testament people only could experience visitations of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said the Holy Spirit was with them, but would be IN them. The difference came when Jesus opened that door because of the Resurrection. Jesus came to show us how to live abundant lives. He endured the cross because He loved us and gave Himself for us. He broke the chains of death, hell and the grave with His Resurrection power. He sent the Holy Spirit to walk with us and lead us into truth. So from this perspective, Resurrection Life is not one experience after another - it's a way of life because of the Holy Spirit!

While we know the Holy Spirit is always with us, I still am drawn to ask God for those times when I know experientially He is with me. Some people might think that is immature - "can't you just take it by faith?" I don't think it's an either/or situation. I think experiencing the Holy Spirit happens physically as well as spiritually. Ask anyone who has experienced the Presence of The Lord. It's pretty hard to talk them out of what happened.

When was the last time you experienced the Presence of the Holy Spirit? Hopefully, you know in your head He is with you. What if today you asked Him to nudge you gently just to say, "I am here . . ."

Father, Thank you for the Holy Spirit who Jesus sent to be with me. I believe Jesus' words when He said He would send a Comforter who would lead me into truth and show me how to live my life. I think of those followers of Jesus waiting in the upper room for the Holy Spirit to come. After He came, I know He continued to show up and lead them. I read about those experiences in the book of Acts. I pray You would make Yourself evident in my life the way you did for Jesus' followers. Help me remember to ask the Holy Spirit to show me when He is leading me. This is life . . .

No comments: