Monday, April 14, 2014

The Shepherd's Voice

When I was a kid, my whole town was my playground. Of course, it was a pretty small town! My mom let me play outside where I could ride my bike and play with neighbor kids. In fact, she actually put up flood lights on the outside of our back porch so we could play football until all hours in the summer. I could hear her shout - she was a teacher and had strong lungs - for several blocks. We had a bargain though. If she called and I didn't come right home, I didn't get to go play away from the house for a day or two afterwards. Sometimes that didn't matter because I had a big back yard, but it meant kids couldn't come over if I was "grounded". I listened for her voice and responded.

Jesus had just heard the voices of celebration and "Hosannah!" the previous day as He made his last trip into Jerusalem. The crowd didn't know it was His last, but He looked at them with such love. Little did they know what one week would unfold. As He moved among them, His emotion showed in His actions of the next days.

As their Shepherd, Jesus looked at the city. He wept because He knew they didn't know the whole story of Who was in their midst (Luke 19:41-44). He told them that this was a special Godly visitation, but they wouldn't hear Him. He was so grieved that they would "not welcome God's personal visit." (MSG) He continued to demonstrate the Kingdom of God in their midst as He did miracles and baffled some of His disciples. They thought they were listening to His voice. He knew what was to come.

My husband and I named our children using open vowels for the first syllable of their name. We wanted to be able to step out the front door and shout their name being able to have the open vowel waft the sound around the neighborhood. (It worked pretty well!) The same rules I grew up obeying were in place for our children. They knew our voice. They came when called (generally). No texting "ding" to catch their attention . . . only the voice of their parents.

Do you know the voice of Jesus, the Shepherd of your soul? How do you know His voice among all the other voices that compete for your attention? Have you "grown up" enough to know His voice? If you're not sure, why not take some extra time this week to be with Him in His Word and in prayer to know His voice speaking in your heart?

Father, I know I am Your sheep and You are my Shepherd. You want to lead me and guide me with Your voice. I believe I can hear You and obey. I want to grow up more to hear You when You speak to me. Forgive me for not welcoming Your personal visits to me. As I remember what this last week of Your life involved, I don't know if I would have really heard you. I am not sure I would have understood Your conversations. Looking back though, I see how important every day is and how I need to hear Your voice today from Your Word and in prayer. Your personal investment in me speaks so loud I should be able to hear You from down the block. You know my name . . .

No comments: