Thursday, April 03, 2014

Night Lights

Are you one of those people who wants a completely dark room before you can get to sleep? I have a friend who, when she moves into a house or apartment, puts black trash bags up on the windows of her bedroom so she can get her sleep. She doesn't like that morning rush of sun blazing into her room. Some folks are just grouchy if they don't get their sleep!

I didn't think much about a dark room until I had to get up in the night - for baby feedings and sick kids, etc. I'd feel along the wall, smack my toes a time or two and stumble to wherever I was going. My husband always had a flashlight within reach. Wise man! Finally, the day came when I discovered night lights. We didn't have them when I was a kid. I just knew the way or my mom left the bathroom light on! We were staying with a friend after our house had a major flood and was being repaired. (Another story . . .) I had to check on our children, but a strange house made it a challenge to get around. I bought about six night lights and strategically placed them along the route from our bedroom to each place I needed to go - sometimes clear across the whole house. Somehow I was reassured for the journey when I could go from night light to night light. On my trip, I didn't watch the dark places; I watched for the light to direct my path. It's much like an airplane pilot landing at night. He is scoped in on the lights - not the darkness.

Jesus said He was the Light. When He was talking to crowds early in His ministry, He reminded the people that THEY were the light of the world. Imagine that. You are a night light! If you don't have that connection to Jesus, you might not have much light to offer in dark times. Does the light show up much in the daytime? Not really. It's at night in the dark places that night lights are needed. Just as my string of night lights filled my way with light, so do Christ followers share the One who said "I AM the Light of the World. He who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12) There's no problem with sleeping in a dark room, but when you have to wake up and get somewhere, a night light is important!

Father, Thank you for Jesus, the Light of the World. I know I am responsible to carry His light to my sphere of influence. I know the feeling of relief when I look at night lights strewn throughout my house. How I would love to be the "light" to people around me who would know where they could come for prayer and encouragement. Keep bringing me people with whom I may share the light of Jesus. Remind me that the less darkness I personally walk in, the more light will show for those who need You. I don't want to cover any of Your light!

No comments: