Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Light in Darkness

It was a wonderful summer night camping on the Grand Mesa. How beautiful the stars shone amidst the tree tops. Occasionally, a shooting star would pass by. It was so dark the night sky was brilliant with splendor. The family had disappeared into their respective tents with flashlights glowing. Finally, the "good nights" had been said (Walton style) and everyone was settling down. The final crackling of the fire was settling down and the forrest seemed to gently rest in slumber.

"Git!" she yelled as she elbowed whatever was trying to step on her. Talk about a rude awakening! Everybody started yelling. They were hitting pans and rocks and anything they could think of inside the tents. Whatever it was had stepped on my Gram who was lying between me and the edge of the tent!

The animal ran like the dickens because he didn't want to meet whoever make that noise. The funny part of the story was when we set up our tent, we wondered if it was ok to have it that close to a small tree. It didn't seem like a problem and was actually acting as a partial anchor for the tent. (Way back in the day, we didn't have the fancy one-person-put-up-the-tent process.) It took more hands and more ingenuity! Still though, we felt like we'd be safe and enjoy one another's company in our tent. But after Gram's exclamation, I can tell you assuredly, I was wide awake and heard every sound. Suddenly, it didn't matter who was with me; I was afraid. The comfortable fellowship I'd had even in the dark was now broken and no one could calm my crazy beating heart.

Darkness is very dark, isn't it? I remember clinging to my flashlight, but not wanting to turn it on in case it would attract the animal. What does darkness do to you? When you can't even see your hand in front of your face . . . it's dark. I remember Gram turning on the flashlight and then the lantern for the longest time. I saw her face and knew she was with me. I don't know if I thought she'd look different, but it was very reassuring to know it was her with me in that tent. I felt safe.

John reminded people, "if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another . . ."

The people walking daily with Jesus had no idea how dark it was going to be for them after He was gone. Even though He promised a Comforter, they still were very aware that He was not among them. They would miss Him when He was gone. Until they had an "upper room" experience with Him (Acts 2), they felt how dark darkness is. Of course, we know the rest of the story in the Acts. Jesus sent the Comforter who would always be with them. We know Jesus IS the Light. If we walk in the truth of what we know of Jesus (the Light), we can have true fellowship with Him and one another. We don't have to sit in darkness like that night in my tent. Jesus' light shows up, dispels the darkness and true fellowship can be experienced!

What do you do when darkness comes? Hide? Run? Jesus wants to shine His light into your dark areas, let the power of His truth bring wholeness and have fellowship that brings comfort and peace amidst any situation. Look at Him . . . He is light for your way!

Father, It's in the middle of darkness when I realize I am afraid. Sometimes I think I'm so brave. Sometimes it's just my arrogance letting me wander in darkness saying everything will be ok. Remind me of the times I've enjoyed Your light filled Presence. Help me hunger for that fellowship with You that only happens when I walk in Your light. Your face reveals Your love and I know I am safe.

No comments: