Friday, April 18, 2014

The Shepherd's Death

Death is so . . . final. Jesus knew what was coming, and still lived fully until He declared of his own choosing . . . "It is finished!"

The disciples that were left at the beginning of that day of the week had heard Jesus say that He was the good shepherd. He would lay His life down for the sheep. "No one can take My life from Me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what My Father has commanded." They watched Jesus be humiliated and tortured.

Years ago when the Passion of the Christ came out in theaters, I convinced a coworker to go with me. It's not my favorite movie by any stretch. It's gruesome and terrible to watch. It physically affected my coworker. We couldn't talk about it for days. Eventually though, we did. It had a profound impact on her life. After I left that particular place of employment, she and I still had a connection. It was that movie. We had some poignant talks about Jesus and what He did for us. She has since died. Today, I think about those talks. She often asked me why He would just hang in there through it all. All I knew what that He loved us so much, He gave His life.

There is so much detail around the reason He died and specifically how He did. It's fascinating study; I've done it fairly thoroughly. It does seem very convincing. Does it change anything though?  Not really. The science of His death does prove He gave His life - they didn't kill Him. Did that information soothe the disciples as they were wandering around town or hiding out so as not to be recognized? Not really. If you didn't know the "rest of the story", what would you be thinking? You recall what you saw and experienced the last few years - the miracles . . . the relationship . . . the talks . . . even the hard things to understand. Is that all gone? Not really. (But that was not known yet . . .)

I understand the finality of death. I know things are not the same afterward. So many times with death, people are changed. Often on this day, I hear "what is so "good" about today? It was awful, inhumane and should not be called "good"!" Consider this . . . Jesus was called the "good" shepherd. We have a word in English that has the root word from the Greek word used for "good" to describe Jesus. The English word is "colossal".  It has the background of hugeness, vastness or greatness. Also embedded in the word is the meaning of being genuine (as opposed to fake). Jesus being our "good shepherd" was so all encompassing and thoroughly complete, some people might try to discount His story as fake. Do you think He was surprised when he wasn't believed? Not really! He knew what He was offering the world as their good shepherd. He knew life would not be the same after He left, but He also gave His followers all He had . . . entirely . . . completely . . .genuinely.

What do you believe about the Good Shepherd? Is He really enough for you?

Father, Good Friday is an introspective day for me. I know the rest of the story - we win. Somehow though, I wonder what You would like me to see of Your heart if I only knew what happened today. Would I remember what Jesus, the Good Shepherd, has said to me? Would I recall how colossal He is? "Good" takes on a different perspective. When He was done that night on the cross, "it is finished" displayed the completeness of "good". Here's my song to You . . .

When I survey the wondrous cross,
On which the Price of Glory died,
My richest gains I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small,
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all!
---Isaac Watts

No comments: