Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Shepherd's Betrayal

I love Charlie Brown and all the beloved characters for each of their individual nuances. What an amazing band of friends they were! Sometimes I wished I could find those kinds of friends - even the ones that seemed to betray the others. Lucy - she was a character alright! So self righteous and assured, yet so bodacious that she had to keep showing she was "the boss". She was the betrayer of Charlie Brown's trust. I was continually baffled at him for letting her betray him over and over. Remember the football she always pulled out just in time so he can't kick it? He keeps saying he won't get fooled again. Nope. I find myself screaming at the tv when he finally starts backing up to get a good run at kicking the football. Lucy holds the football so he can get a good kick. She cheers him on . . ."C'mon, Charlie Brown! You know you want to kick it!" The conundrum plays out in his head. Yes? No! Yes? Visions of grandeur race through his head. Yes! He starts the long run toward the poised football. He's timing his run to meet the football in full stride for a strong kick. Then she does it . . . just like all the other times. She pulls the football away. He swings his foot but there is no football so he goes flying. There he is lying on his back wondering why it keeps letting her do that. It's maddening to me!

Why do I dislike betrayal? It leaves me so exposed and vulnerable. I feel like everyone must know and are probably talking about me behind my back. It's just a sick feeling. Now, if Jesus was tempted in all ways like we are, yet was without sin, I wonder what He was feeling when He revealed He knew He would be betrayed. (Mark 14:10-11) He knew Judas was making a deal to have Him identified. Later in the week, Jesus would have supper with the betrayer. I think I would have tried to head that off from happening. Something was different about Him.

I wonder . . . . was His ability to keep pressing on knowing the betrayal was coming because He knew Earth was not His home? Was He able to honestly hold the planet lightly because He knew there was more He had to do? It was not that He didn't care; it was that He really had a bigger plan in view. The betrayal was a moment; redemption via the resurrection was an eternal proposition. Jesus had an amazing perspective.

I confess my perspective on betrayal is pretty myopic. It's about me - my feelings, my pain and my embarrassment. Honestly, Jesus was more concerned about Judas than He was about being betrayed. Jesus reached out to Judas because He knew what Judas did. If I knew ahead of time that I was going to be betrayed by someone, I'm not sure how gracious I'd be.  At my most "spiritual moment", I'd avoid them. Jesus had an eternal perspective. He never sinned. He never told a lie. He left His case in the hands of the One who always judges fairly.

What do you do when you experience betrayal? It is just plain painful, I know. Do you experience that "fight or flight" response? Do you blame? What is your perspective on betrayal?

Father, Jesus was so strong. He endured so much just because He loved us and gave Himself for us. Betrayal is painfully exposing. It makes me love Him even more. I cannot imagine knowing what was going to happen and just letting it happen. I do not believe I have that capacity. What should I learn here, Father? Help me see Your heart when other people's opinions expose me. On the flip side, nudge me when I am betraying You. Show me when I seem to sell You out. Recalibrate my eye sight to Your perspective . . .

No comments: