Tuesday, April 08, 2014

The Adventure of Faith

Adventure movies are just that . . . adventurous. In the usual struggle of the hero to overcome the bad guy, the amazing feats are only limited to the imagination of the creator and money of the producers. Once I saw a movie where the hero (and his family) were swept from one calamity to another. I almost hyperventilated when I realized I was holding my breath waiting for the grand rescue. Finally, I'd breathe as l felt faint. I think there has to be something of "viewer fatigue" with the length of the action and unimaginable troubles the hero encounters. He just thinks he's out of trouble and the floor drops out from under him. But wait . . . in the distance is a door. If he can only get to the door. He looks around at every angle. Is there a ladder? Is there a rope? Is there the tail of a dragon somewhere? Out of nowhere (literally), a way unfolds right in front of him. He takes a breath, grabs his family and dashes for the door - yet unopened. Will it unfold before him? He has his family in tow and doesn't want to disappoint . . .

You think that's an adventure? Look at this part of the Biblical letter to the Romans!

Romans 5:2 says "We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that He has already thrown open His door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand - out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise." MSG

Sometimes we get the feeling that coming to choose a walk of faith with Jesus is paramount to straining to get the door to Him open so we can squeeze through. There are huge springs that will slam the door shut behind us as a raucously religious laughter haunts our ears. Really?

Understanding this is a paraphrased passage from the Roman letter (and knowing the exegetes among us might find it offensive), I still am awed as I read. Can I actually imagine myself throwing the door open to Him only to know He has the handle on the other side pulling it to open to all He has to offer? There I am! Out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory. I am standing tall and shouting praise to Him!

I have to ask if I have I let television and movies dictate how I open my heart to God? There's no "viewer fatigue" when watching the magnificent things of God. Have you thrown your heart open to God and been exhausted watching at Him work on your behalf? Does He just wear you out with His glory? (maybe or maybe not) While it is true the unfiltered glory of God had a physical effect on people who came in contact with it, i.e. Moses, the people at the Tabernacle, etc., I wonder if we still have more of the wide open spaces of God to explore and live in His grace and glory?

Father, my heart wants to experience those wide open spaces. I want to stand tall and  shout praises to You. My head doesn't allow me to open that door for fear of disappointment. I wonder if I have what it takes to risk opening the door. Give me courage to believe that You have always wanted to draw me to Your wide open spaces. There's no trap or strings attached - just a step through the door. Reaching for the handle. . .

No comments: